使用验证码登录

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

楼主: 无心剑

英语学习散论

[复制链接]
 楼主| 发表于 2010-1-18 12:16:00 | 显示全部楼层

回复 22# CEJ 的帖子

hehe, just for it is easier to discuss the problems of poetry translation in Chinese.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2010-1-19 10:01:00 | 显示全部楼层
Ah-huh, pardon me for being frank but that could very well be one of the causes for some of the awkward expressions I see in some of the messages.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2010-1-19 11:53:00 | 显示全部楼层

回复 24# CEJ 的帖子

hehe, there is no harm in pointing out those awkward expressions and tell us how to turn them into graceful expressions.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2010-1-19 13:16:00 | 显示全部楼层

回复 15# 无心剑 的帖子

“译诗如吸毒”
:D

“崇尚简朴自然的生活”
yes, it makes it easier to pursue one's passion while living a simple life.

took a quick glance at your translation on this thread. overall, it's pretty impressive.

i remember you used "automatically" somewhere. "naturally" might be a better word choice.

practice makes perfect.  please keep up your good work!  :)
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2010-1-19 13:21:00 | 显示全部楼层

回复 24# CEJ 的帖子

Mr. CEJ, welcome aboard, though i myself am a newcomer here as well.  

you write flawless English. you can be a good editor, i suppose.  :)

well, i tried hard and just found one typo:  “peom"---poem.

why don't you jump in and get your feet wet?  all it takes is some enthusiasm for poetry.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2010-1-19 18:58:00 | 显示全部楼层

回复 25# 无心剑 的帖子

Mr Wuxinjian,

>hehe, there is no harm in pointing out those awkward expressions and tell us how to turn them into graceful expressions.

Thank you for your reply and for being so receptive to different ideas. No, I wouldn't say my expressions are more elegant, but it would be impolite at this point to retreat and not come up with some examples. Let me just give two simple examples to illustrate my points.

1. 所以,我们应该树立这样的观念,凡是自然的东西都是好的。我们是自然之子,只要我们顺乎自然地发挥天赋的功能,很多东西就会很容易学会。如果一种学习方法,某人用起来很不自然甚至很痛苦,那么应该认为这个方法不适合这个人。他应该勇敢地抛弃这个不适合他自己实际情况的方法,然后去尝试其他方法。
Original translation: So we should set up such an idea that all natural things are good. Since we are children of nature, many things are easy for us to learn well only if we exert our connate functions. If a learning method is used by someone unnaturally even painfully, we should conclude that this method is unsuitable for him. He should abandon this unsuitable method bravely and then try other methods.
My attempt: Thus, we should hold to the belief that all things natural must be good. We are sons of nature. It follows that as long as we use our inborn abilities in a natural manner, we can pick up numerous skills without much effort. If someone finds a method unnatural or even agonizing, he should come to the conclusion that such a method is not for him. Naturally, he should then discontinue it decisively and seek other ways of learning that better suit his unique aptitude.

2. 我所提倡的自然学习法只有三条基本原则。
Original translation: I advocate this natural learning method with three basic principles.
My attempt: This natural learning method that I advocate consists of three basic principles.

I understand that how one chooses to put across something is very subjective, and that there are numerous ways to say the same thing. So, I shall leave it to the good judgment of the readers to determine if my observation is justified.

Last but not least, I hope I did not just open a can of worms. Please pardon me If I have inadvertently offended anyone. Thank you.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2010-1-19 19:10:00 | 显示全部楼层

回复 27# 云天2010 的帖子

Hi cloud-covered sky,
Thanks for the compliment. I am flattered, though I know very well my writing is far from flawless.
Thank you for your kind invitation too, but unfortunately I have other preoccupations at the moment. Therefore, I prefer, at this stage, to admire the wonderful works put up by you guys from afar.

Keep it up, guys!
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2010-1-19 19:22:00 | 显示全部楼层

回复 29# CEJ 的帖子

欢迎新朋友!:coffee
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2010-1-19 20:34:00 | 显示全部楼层

回复 28# CEJ 的帖子

你的译文更自然流畅。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2010-1-20 06:48:00 | 显示全部楼层
我所提倡的自然学习法只有三条基本原则。
无心剑译文: I advocate this natural learning method with three basic principles.
CEJ译文: This natural learning method that I advocate consists of three basic principles.
铁冰译文:The method I advocate for natural learning consists of three basics.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

QQ|Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|中诗网 ( 京ICP备:12024093号-1|京公网安备 11010502045403号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-5 13:38 , Processed in 0.088755 second(s), 12 queries , Gzip On.